I wasn’t able to find any tutorial or documentation about GameplayTags so I decided to create one myself. In this tutorial you will learn about:
- Actor / Component Tag system,
- UE4 introduced GameplayTag system
- How to use them,
- Why you should use them?
Continue reading “Using GameplayTags”
You guys requested melee tutorial and I’m right after game jam where my colleague (cheers Tomek!) did really simple but powerful melee weapon. This tutorial will be about:
- How to do melee damage,
- Create basic weapon class to drive melee damage,
- Weapons can be added to AI characters as well and they will do melee damage to others as well (Player and other AI)
- There will be two versions: one without any additional preparation and second one in which you need to add sockets to weapon mesh.
So, lets go!
Continue reading “Plug and Play Melee Tutorial”
If you want to iterate quickly you need to have good debug tools. In this Tutorial I will use knowledge from Set/Get Variables to draw widget with list of variables. Basically if you want to show an variable you need to print it out, or create custom widget for specific Actor. Thanks to Debug Component:
- You will be able to debug any variable in any actor that you want,
- You don’t need to create any custom print / widgets,
This can be achieved using C++ only but as always it will be super easy! (learn UE4 C++!)
Continue reading “Variables Debug Component”
Before I will move forward with perks I would like to show you guys how to get, set and increase variables (floats and ints) by name. You don’t need to have reference to variable to make operations on it.
In this tutorial I will create global functions that can:
- Get/Set float by name,
- Get/Set int by name,
- Increase float/int by name,
Again I will use C++ for this and as always it will be super easy!
Continue reading “Get / Set variables by Name”
After first playable demo I have encountered lot of problems with ShooterTutorial gameplay. I would like to fix them all but first I need to have a way to quickly iterate balance of the game. In this tutorial you will learn:
- how to change base weapon and player variables over internet,
- how to have backup offline values,
I will do this using C++ but it will be very easy!
Continue reading “Online Game Balancing tool #1 – Base Class”
Currently my enemies are just disappearing. ShooterTutorial will be ported to Mobile some day and I want to be sure that my ragdols can be turned off as soon as possible. That’s why I will add nice dissolve effect. Which should be:
- Component based – can be attached to any Skel/Static mesh actor,
- Using Material Layers – this way I will get original material,
Continue reading “Dissolve Dying Effect”
Every game should have analytics. You need to know your players and make a game that they love. Analytics will help you a lot. In ShooterTutorial example I would like to know:
- Where player dies – if game is to hard or to easy,
- Which weapons players are using,
- Which weapons are the best,
- Which patterns and enemies are hard and which are easy,
- How many people is looking at leaderboards and other screens,
- If players use combo to make better score,
- If reloading times are to slow,
- and lot more…
I will show you how quickly you can implement analytics in your game and in ShooterTutorial. We have great times for indie developers now.
Continue reading “Adding Google Analytics”
In Summary Screen I would like to show player stats like:
- Best combo,
- Enemies killed,
And I would like to be able to add more stats in the future. This tutorial will be really simple.
Continue reading “Adding Player Stats”
Earlier I have created really simple leadeboards which can be used quickly in GameJams but now I will do something much more better. It will be simple as well, but have much more possibilities.
In this tutorial you will learn how to create online, cross platform leaderboards for your game using PlayFab.
Continue reading “Adding PlayFab Online Leaderboards”
While creating patterns I did find them to be really hard. I came up to idea to create aim functionality that will trigger slomo as well. In this tutorial I will do right mouse button aim which can be used for X amount of time.
Continue reading “Adding Aim and Slomo”