You guys requested melee tutorial and I’m right after game jam where my colleague (cheers Tomek!) did really simple but powerful melee weapon. This tutorial will be about:
- How to do melee damage,
- Create basic weapon class to drive melee damage,
- Weapons can be added to AI characters as well and they will do melee damage to others as well (Player and other AI)
- There will be two versions: one without any additional preparation and second one in which you need to add sockets to weapon mesh.
So, lets go!
There was tutorial request to create Uncharted like equip system on third person character. In this tutorial you will learn how to:
- Attach weapons to third person character,
- Create simple inventory system to manage items,
- Drop and equip items,
- Use UMG to communicate with inventory manager and items,
System will be event based so it should be efficient.
It’s super easy!
I will do Complete Melee Weapon tutorial from requested tutorials guys and I’m thinking how much it should cover. Currently my list have:
- Attacking animations,
- Calculating hit,
- Dealing damage to enemy,
- Stamina system,
- Combo system,
- Melee enemy so we will fight with some AI,
- Blocking hits using shield or weapon (depending on what arms asset I will find)
- Use of FABRIK for animation e.g. sword follows the angle of your mouse when you swing,
Please let me know what exactly you would like to learn about melee weapon.
Another thing is – should I use free assets for this tutorial? If yes some of these functionalities (like attacking animations, blocking hits, melee enemy) can’t be done completely.
I will try to find cheap assets and mostly use free one but I’m currently not sure if all of them will be free. (if you like you can post links to free assets – hands with animations, shield, sword, enemy with melee animations) Please let me know in comments!
In this tutorial I will show you how to create weapon selection screen. I did debug version of it earlier. This time I will use:
- 3d UMG widget to show weapon selection screen,
- UMG toggle widget usage,
- Protection to not be able to equip the same weapon twice,
- Icons created earlier,
In this tutorial I will focus on creating upgrade for my weapons.
- Possibility to change each weapon variable,
- Draw everything on 3d UMG widget,
- Explore weapons as 3d models,
Creating upgrade functionality is easy but it’s taking lot of time.
In this tutorial I will focus on Turrets. Couple of goals:
- Create base turret blueprint to be able to drive custom turrets,
- Implement idle state and moving state,
- Manage targets,
- Easy way to tell Turret which type of Actors should fire,
Remember the moment from Alien 2 movie with turrets? This will be almost the same.
This will be more advanced post but you will learn a lot about UMG->Blueprint communication. Here are my goals:
- Draw all slot weapons informations,
- Change weapons from UMG panel,
- Will work on PC and Touch,
- Player shouldn’t be able to choose weapon which don’t have ammo,
- Player should see which weapon is currently equipped,
- When choosing weapons do slomo and DOF effect,
Lot’s of great stuff do to! Continue reading
As I wrote earlier will try to implement all of the weapons from Military Silver Pack. Next in line is Sniper Rifle. Again we would need to implement new functionality to BaseWeapon – second fire. In this case second fire will trigger sniper scope.
- Sniper Rifle should have zoom and sniper scope functionality,
- I want to have “bullet time” effect triggered sometimes, (camera chasing bullet),
- Use BaseWeapon functionalities to drive the weapon,
Lot of new stuff coming here.
In earlier post we have added shooting functionality for base weapon. Now let’s upgrade this class to support Shotgun that came with Military Weapons Silver package.
- Shotgun will fire more bullets than other weapons, (Burst functionality)
- Its single shoot shotgun with automatic reloading, (custom reload functionality)
- Spread will be different,
- Impulse for ragdoll will be different, (Add ImpulsePower to BaseWeapon)
- Custom animation for FPP Hands to carry shotgun,
In this post I would like to work on:
- Increasing spread when shooting,
- Decreasing spread when in idle,
- Dynamic crosshair that will tell me what’s the current spread,
Crosshair and spread is one of my favorite topic. You can read here great article about aim systems, and math behind spread in AnswerHub. Let’s try to do this by our self!