You guys requested melee tutorial and I’m right after game jam where my colleague (cheers Tomek!) did really simple but powerful melee weapon. This tutorial will be about:
- How to do melee damage,
- Create basic weapon class to drive melee damage,
- Weapons can be added to AI characters as well and they will do melee damage to others as well (Player and other AI)
- There will be two versions: one without any additional preparation and second one in which you need to add sockets to weapon mesh.
So, lets go!
I will do Complete Melee Weapon tutorial from requested tutorials guys and I’m thinking how much it should cover. Currently my list have:
- Attacking animations,
- Calculating hit,
- Dealing damage to enemy,
- Stamina system,
- Combo system,
- Melee enemy so we will fight with some AI,
- Blocking hits using shield or weapon (depending on what arms asset I will find)
- Use of FABRIK for animation e.g. sword follows the angle of your mouse when you swing,
Please let me know what exactly you would like to learn about melee weapon.
Another thing is – should I use free assets for this tutorial? If yes some of these functionalities (like attacking animations, blocking hits, melee enemy) can’t be done completely.
I will try to find cheap assets and mostly use free one but I’m currently not sure if all of them will be free. (if you like you can post links to free assets – hands with animations, shield, sword, enemy with melee animations) Please let me know in comments!
In this tutorial I will be doing Sci-Fi ninja enemy which will:
- Run fast to player,
- Jump and make attack with katana,
- Do slomo effect not affecting player,
I’m missing fast enemy which is dealing melee damage.
In this tutorial I will create first boss enemy. Which:
- Can do melee damage to other enemies,
- Do melee damage to player,
- Fire projectile to player direction,
- Will only react on plasma weapons and only in one weak spot,
Everything will be done using just blueprints. I would like to show you how to create AI without using Behavior Trees.