Currently my enemies are just disappearing. ShooterTutorial will be ported to Mobile some day and I want to be sure that my ragdols can be turned off as soon as possible. That’s why I will add nice dissolve effect. Which should be:
- Component based – can be attached to any Skel/Static mesh actor,
- Using Material Layers – this way I will get original material,
Continue reading “Dissolve Dying Effect”
I have awesome news for you guys! Epic Games backed Shooter Tutorial for 14,000$ in their Epic Games Educational Dev Grants!
This is good time to share some details about the future.
First Milestone: Finish ShooterTutorial.
First goal is to finish ShooterTutorial in current form. Freestyle live development blog explaining step by step what I’m doing.
I’m aware that some of the tutorials can be hard for beginners…that’s why I decided to create a e-book for people that are starting their game development trip.
Second Milestone: Book for Beginners.
When ShooterTutorial will be finished I will start working on “Learning UE4 Blueprint by Example” e-book. Which will focus more on game development overall and how to use Blueprints to create shooter game. Book will use only free assets and will be friendly for beginners. It will feature exactly the same game as I’m doing here but it will be written from scratch taking knowledge that I have learned.
There is still lot of stuff do to in ShooterTutorial before it can be finished:
- Closed demo (this will happen really soon and will be iterated couple of times)
- Endless mode,
- Weapon / Character upgrades,
- Steam Support,
- VR Support,
- Hi-End mobile Support,
Hope I shared some light here and you guys will like the e-book idea!
Every game should have analytics. You need to know your players and make a game that they love. Analytics will help you a lot. In ShooterTutorial example I would like to know:
- Where player dies – if game is to hard or to easy,
- Which weapons players are using,
- Which weapons are the best,
- Which patterns and enemies are hard and which are easy,
- How many people is looking at leaderboards and other screens,
- If players use combo to make better score,
- If reloading times are to slow,
- and lot more…
I will show you how quickly you can implement analytics in your game and in ShooterTutorial. We have great times for indie developers now.
Continue reading “Adding Google Analytics”
In Summary Screen I would like to show player stats like:
- Best combo,
- Enemies killed,
And I would like to be able to add more stats in the future. This tutorial will be really simple.
Continue reading “Adding Player Stats”
Earlier I have created really simple leadeboards which can be used quickly in GameJams but now I will do something much more better. It will be simple as well, but have much more possibilities.
In this tutorial you will learn how to create online, cross platform leaderboards for your game using PlayFab.
Continue reading “Adding PlayFab Online Leaderboards”
While creating patterns I did find them to be really hard. I came up to idea to create aim functionality that will trigger slomo as well. In this tutorial I will do right mouse button aim which can be used for X amount of time.
Continue reading “Adding Aim and Slomo”
I have created Pattern Manager and now I need to support all enemies to be able to reset properly. Remember – the goal was to not spawn / destroy enemies – instead just resetting the values. I will go through all enemies and make sure that:
- Mesh ragdoll is getting back to animation,
- Mesh is attached to capsule component with the same translation as it was on Begin Play,
- All necessary timers will be disabled as well,
- Tick will be disabled when enemy isn’t active,
- Refactor the enemies as it was long time ago I had created them,
So let’s go!
Continue reading “Creating Gameplay Balance System – Part 3 – Supporting all enemies”
There was tutorial request to create Uncharted like equip system on third person character. In this tutorial you will learn how to:
- Attach weapons to third person character,
- Create simple inventory system to manage items,
- Drop and equip items,
- Use UMG to communicate with inventory manager and items,
System will be event based so it should be efficient.
It’s super easy!
Continue reading “Uncharted like Equip Tutorial”
In this Tutorial I will focus on basic summary screen and game loop:
- Showing player score and hi-score,
- Saving hi-score,
- Communicating between widgets and game to create simple loop main menu -> gameplay -> main menu,
Stats and leaderboards will be added in separated tutorials as I will do much more complicated stuff there.
Continue reading “Summary Screen”
Shooter Tutorial has been added to Patreon for everyone that would like to be a patron.